05 July 2009

Delphi's Dolphins 08, 28 June - 4 July


I have just completed two weeks of the Tethys Research Institute program in Galaxidi, Greece. I can say with certainty that this experience has had a profound effect on my life, and the direction that it will continue in. It was absolutely incredible to see dolphins in their natural habitat and know that you are not just observing them, but helping to collect information which will hopefully aid in the preservation of this species.

Susan, New York/USA

---

The week I spent at Tethys has been such a profound experience that I will not be able to articulate fully the effect it had on me until I have a chance to reflect and process all that I learned and saw. I know that it changed me on a fundamental level. The professionalism coupled with knowledge and passion of Silvia, Giovanni, and Aina was a gift to all of those who participated in the program. I am so fortunate to have been able to participate in this crucial study.

Elektra, New York/USA

---

Dolphins have fascinated me ever since I was a little girl, so when I found Tethys on the internet, I decided to sign up. I had no idea what to expect, but thought that no matter what a week on the shores of Galaxidi would be pretty great. This program however went above every expectation that I could have had. Not only is Galaxidi wonderful (friendly people, great food, cool streets, the sea), but in this one week I learned more and saw more than I could have ever hoped for. I will never in my life forget the image of over 50 dolpins circling our small, inflatable boat, some of them coming close enough to touch. It was incredible. I would recommend this program to anyone. The combination of the knowledge you gain, the beauty that you see, and the people that you meet is absolutely unforgettable. Thanks for such an amazing week!

Katherine, Connecticut/USA

---

This week spent exploring in the Gulf of Corinth, our boat and our minds scratching only the surface, has taught me and changed me unexpectedly. I thought I would grill some fish when it was my night to cook, being a fish-eating vegetarian, until I asked Silvia where I could find someplace in town to buy fresh fish, and she answered me seriously, that it is hard to find. Since then, when dining out, is no longer easy to figure out what fish to order, knowing that the mussels might be from the nearby mussel farm which is in the same bay as a massive aluminum factory which releases its byproducts into the the same body of water. I no longer want to eat farmed fish after learning that it takes more fish to feed them than it produces, while adding toxins into the water. Facing these grim new realities, it is even more amazing (katabliktico), and elating, to have been lucky enough to witness a glorious group of dolphins.

Cate, New York/USA

No comments: