19 July 2008

Dolphins of Greece in July (2)


It was such a fantastic experience working with the Tethys research team in Vonitsa. Eli, Joan and Gio really made me feel at home here, and I learned so much about these fascinating creatures! I especially am thankful for the opportunity to share this experience with my students in Los Angels through video conferencing with Joan. Eli really worked hard to teach us how to do the identifications, and made the task both interesting and enjoyable. The birthday party allowed our last supper to be a joyous occasion instead of a somber one, and for that I am relieved. This is a week that my students and I will remember forever!

Larissa, USA

---

This was a terrific experience! Joan, Eli and Giovanni were terrific teachers and made me feel comfortable at home even in the smoltering heat. I knew nothing about dolphins before I arrived, but now I leave here with fairly extensive knowledge and can even identify dolphins by their dorsal fins (quite an accomplishment)! Our birthday party made our last night a fun experience, and not so upsetting to be leaving this beautiful place. But most of all, I will miss my dear Posi (the dog) and my good morning kisses from him. I hope to be able to return someday...

Judith, USA

---

An unforgettable experience... We woke every morning to crisp, cool temperatures and excitement about how many dolphins we would see that day. We had four terrific sightings, including a lot of bowriding, percussive and aerial behavior, some foraging, and even a dolphin stretching after a short nap. My most spectacular experience was when we had three dolphins bowriding and could hear their whistling noises. It was truly breathtaking! The scenery is beautiful. The food was fabulous. Eli and Joan did an excellent job teaching us about the work they are doing here. We shared some good laughs and conversation. I am honored to have been a part of this expedition team. I will share my experiences with my friends and family for years to come.

Ashlee, USA

---
Dolphins of Greece

Additional information on bottlenose dolphins in the Amvrakikos Gulf:
Bearzi G., Agazzi S., Bonizzoni S., Costa M., Azzellino A. 2008. Dolphins in a bottle: abundance, residency patterns and conservation of bottlenose dolphins Tursiops truncatus in the semi-closed eutrophic Amvrakikos Gulf, Greece. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18(2):130-146. (502 Kb)

No comments: